I mostly leave any news on social media that relates to pets,…. or animals in general, halfway. Not because I ignore them….. on the hindsight, my obsessive love and sensitivity towards animals leaves me down and out whenever a piece of news talks about a pet been abandoned or starved or beaten, is published…. But this time it is different. I happily and emotionally share one of the most path breaking announcements made for the animals, of the animals.
When Shaktiman, the horse bore the brunt of a rally participant’s ignorance and insensitivity, and succumbed, it became national news and a matter of emotions. Shaktiman isn’t the only case. On the other side of the fence, War dogs are given a martyr’s departure and a soldier’s respect.
The Punjab and Haryana High Court has ruled that animals in Haryana will be accorded the status of “legal person or entity” and declared all citizens ‘persons in loco parentis’ (in place of a parent or guardian) to promote welfare of animals. Echoing the directive passed in Uttarakhand a year ago, to promote and protect greater welfare of animals.
Both orders were written and passed by Justice Rajiv Sharma who was transferred from the Uttarakhand High Court to the Punjab and Haryana High Court.
All the Animals & Their Parents…. Say Yay!
The decision states……
- The animals should be healthy, comfortable, well nourished, safe, able to express innate behaviour without pain, fear and distress.
- They are entitled to justice.
- The animals cannot be treated as objects or property.
- animals had a right to life and bodily integrity, honour and dignity, and could not be treated merely as property.
- The corporations, Hindu idols, holy scriptures, rivers have been declared legal entities and thus, in order to protect and promote greater welfare of animals including avian and aquatic, animals are required to be conferred with the status of legal entity/legal person.
Justice Sharma signed the verdict with a ‘live and let live motto’ and said,All the citizens throughout the state of Haryana are hereby declared as the human face for the welfare/protection of animals.
India is changing, the mindsets are changing, and we applaud Justice Sharma for spearheading a transformative decision and bringing sensitivity into society. Much needed and deserved.
I only hope the directive is seriously implemented and the authorities bring the perpetrators to their knees….