Kashmir- destination beautiful- destination turmoil. The heaven on Earth is creating ripples… and controversies, yet again! This time in a historic directive that sent shocks through the country…. Article 370, that gives the state of Jammu & Kashmir, a special status, has been revoked!
370 gives the central government authority only over external affairs, defence and communication, limits the power of Parliament to make laws for the state to a specified list of subjects. Now, I know the Right wing might oppose… but in the larger view, would this be a welcome change?
The article has been on BJP’s radar since long, but had to forego it due to lack of majority during Atal Bihari Vajpayee’s rule. Chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Home Minister Amit Shah and National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, in possibly the most historic decision by the ruling government. The shock wave was felt through the entire country, as a massive uproar led to Mehbooba Mufti, Omar Abdullah and Sajjad Lone being confined to house arrest amidst heavy security and internet services being stalled.
Now was this directive important…. or not? I let you be free to express, but here is what will change in Jammu & Kashmir-
- Jammu & kashmir to be a separate Union Territory with a Legislature and Ladakh with no Legislature.
- In Jammu, the government has imposed Section 144, which prevents the gathering of more than four people in the area.
- This would mean that India’s Constitution gets full applicability in Jammu and Kashmir.
- The separate constitution of Jammu and Kashmir will cease to be in operation.
- The reservation laws will apply in jobs and education in Jammu and Kashmir like rest of the Indian states.
- Outsiders will be eligible for admission in colleges funded by the Jammu and Kashmir government and jobs in state government offices.
- Purchasing land and owning property by people, considered outsiders till now, would be possible. This was considered a major reason preventing corporates setting up big units in Jammu and Kashmir.
- The government has argued that removal of restriction on property ownership by outsiders will pave way for prosperity in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Kashmiri women, who marry a non-Kashmiri, and their children would no longer lose their right of inheritance.
Whatever the decision…. isn’t peace and security the only agenda? I ask you…. Yay Or Nay?